It's that time of year again students are cracking down on homework and are hitting the books even harder to prep for finals. I currently am not in school but this is Bryce's last semester before he graduates with his Bachelors degree in Computer Science so I feel the pain second hand and that's bad enough. I am so proud of him he has worked so hard it takes a dedicated person to pick on field and spend 4 years preparing to work in that field the rest of your life.
All of this got me thinking about school, graduating, and careers and to be honest it is all overwhelming. I think there are 3 kinds of people in the world, the ones who have always known what they want to be when they grow up, the ones who have figured it out by now, and than ones like me who have no clue... I mean I did what I supposed to and went to college right after I graduated from high school and got an associates in gen. ed. even got my pharmacy tech licence. The hard part comes after the gen. ed. stuff.
I have ideas of what I want to be or I thought I did at first it was business, then art, then graphic design, then marketing, then pharmacy, then teaching. Obviously I was putting a lot of money into school and getting no where near graduating so I decided to take a break until I figured it out. It's a big question WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GROW UP? Then I realized that's a hard question because it's not the right question, the right question is WHAT CAN YOU DO EVERY DAY THAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY?
There are millions of career choices and honestly I have no clue where to even start to look into different options. I decided I should talk to an academics adviser I got to the meeting and they told me I am in the wrong spot they are there to help me figure out what classes to take after I know what I want to do. Well great now what, then I found out about career services they had me take some personality tests and career placement tests. I am currently on my way to figuring out what path is best for me,
I now have a list of about 300 careers that I could potentially be happy doing I need to narrow down to like 4 or 5 I have lots of work cut out for me. I am actually really looking forward to researching different careers and seeing where I fit. I highly suggest if you don't know what to do see if you can go to a place like career services maybe they can help you start to figure out the answer to the big question too,
I know at 24 I might be a little late to the party but I have had adventures that I wouldn't change for anything. I am looking forward to a summer full of goofing off, traveling, camping, hiking, and living out the long days with good friends and family. I am planning on starting school back up in the fall and who knows what I will end up studying but all I know is I want to do something that when I wake up in the morning I will look forward to going to work. To all those graduating weather it be from college, high school, or anything else good luck and enjoy it make sure you are doing something that makes you happy.
So here is to graduation I guess in some ways I am having my own graduation. I am excited to see what I decided but until then I am enjoying the ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment